CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Our Island Tour!

Come take a road trip with Jedd A. Diah across our exciting island:

North America!

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Salt Lake's Annual Urban Camping Extravaganza!

Homeless brothers & sisters relax & rest at ease--sleeping in the streets is legal tonight!

Rudy knows what I'm talking about "Might as well (camp here), everyone else is." He tells me while laying on his sleeping bag next to his bike and trailer.

2nd South & 2nd East is right where I'd be if I were homeless! Why? Police headquarters. I'd enjoy gently reminding them that tonight I'm home free & can camp right in their backyard! (scroll down to Tues. May 8)

Hmmm...in my wanderings I'm discovering some interesting happenings--here's a taste!


11:23 pm, city & county building: kids playing soccer while a couple homeless guys lay konked out to the side.

11:39-
a guy finishes exploring the top of the main library as I sit on the steps near the security fence he slunk around.

11:46-people intensely into a game of scrabble

11:49-an RV & grass group camp close together...the outsiders brag they've got it cooler--right they are.

11:53-jeep peeps playing video games in the Ken Garf parking lot (one kids dad is a big wig in the company)

12:01-After exiting the port a potty, a styling mini pedi-cab trailer complete with music & a blue shining neon light on the asphalt pedals by.

12:03-two firemen ride by on funky standup & lean to go electric scooters.

12:14-First sleepers I've seen: 2nd E. 7th S.

12:24-I'm getting tired. Heading back to get bike.

12:28-Carriage 4 hire trots by...likely their latest night of the year.

12:45-a security guard agrees to mustard on his hamburger grilled on the lawn, under a tree by some random campers keeping security happy. (5th S. 2nd E.)

12:53-Breakdancing...pad & all.


1:21-Heading home to my sleeping bags drying out on the deck. Will probably sleep there.

OK. Enjoyable, but I've had enough--you too! Yeah, it's time to wrap this up!..with a collective thanks to Brigham Young and the pioneer saints for coming to the valley and creating this wonderful night to urban camp together as saints. Plus it offers a nice night's rest to those of us accustomed to bright lights waking us up to officers in bright shiny badges telling us to leave the premises.

0 comments: